“All in all, this is a super addictive little retro-inspired title that, while perfectly suited to playing in quick five or ten-minute bursts, can, if you’re not careful, suck you in for hours on end with its one-more-go score chasing and achievement completing appeal… it should offer most an absolute bargain.”
4/5 – The Switch Effect
Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo is a modern take on the retro arcade space shooter and an huge expansion of the original PC release. With more modes, more ships, more enemies, more 80’s synth-pop, a shop, upgradable weapons, and more challenges than ever before this is the definitive turbo version. It is a fast-paced frantic blast of a shoot ’em up (shmup) with bullet hell elements. Played alone or in local coop the game is addictive and will keep the player coming back to unlock the next ship, upgrade their power-ups or beat their high-score.
Bare Knuckle Development allows for the contents of Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetisation of videos created containing assets from Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo is legally & explicitly allowed by Bare Knuckle Development Ltd.
Press Copy Request:
If you require a press copy of Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo for PS4™, Nintendo Switch™, Xbox One, or Steam(Win/Lin/macOS) please fill in our ‘Press Copy Request Form‘.
- Developer: Bare Knuckle Development
- Publisher: Bare Knuckle Development
- Release Date: 14th January 2020 (Switch, PS4™, Steam)
- Release Date: 12th February 2020 (Xbox One)
- Genre: Shoot ’em up (shmup), Action, Arcade, Retro Shooter
- Players: 1-2
- Release Platforms: Nintendo Switch™, PlayStation®4, Xbox One & Steam(Win/Lin/macOS)
- Hashtags: #SMSBSp #SMSBSpT #SpaceBlasterTurbo
- Game Website: bareknuckledev.com/games/space-blaster-turbo/
- Developer Website: bareknuckledev.com
- Twitter: twitter.com/SMSpaceBlaster
- Facebook: facebook.com/bareknuckledev
- Instagram: Instagram.com/smspaceblastersp
- Price: US $4.99, UK £3.99, EU €4.39, AUD 6.60 (prices accurate for Switch and Steam but may differ slightly on other platforms)
- Rating (Switch, PS4 & Xbox One): PEGI 3+, ESRB E (everyone)
- US Nintendo Page: nintendo.com/games/detail/super-mega-space-blaster-special-turbo-switch/
- UK/EU Nintendo Page: nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Super-Mega-Space-Blaster-Special-Turbo-1664853.html
- PlayStation®Store US: store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP5395-CUSA17963_00-SMSBST0014012021
- PlayStation®Store UK: store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP5576-CUSA17620_00-SMSBST0014012020
- PlayStation.com Game Page: playstation.com/en-us/games/super-mega-space-blaster-special-turbo-ps4/
- Microsoft Store (Xbox One) US: microsoft.com/en-us/p/super-mega-space-blaster-special-turbo/9mxlkfdthld0
- Microsoft Store (Xbox One) UK: microsoft.com/en-gb/p/super-mega-space-blaster-special-turbo/9mxlkfdthld0
- Steam Store page: store.steampowered.com/app/748330/Super_Mega_Space_Blaster_Special_Turbo/
- Retro Space Blasting Action Coming to Xbox One on 12th Feb 2020 (16th Jan 2020) – pdf
- Space Blaster Blasts on to Switch, PS4 & Steam to Positive Reviews (14th Jan 2020) – pdf
- The Game Makes Use of Each Platform’s Unique Features (13th Jan 2020) – pdf
- Space Blaster was Completely Made by Solo Dev (6th Jan 2020) – pdf
- PS4™ Version Launches with PlayStation®Plus Discount (2nd Jan 2020) – pdf
- Soundtrack (OST) Launching with Game (30th Dec 2019) – pdf
- Steam(Win/Lin/macOS) Announcement (18th Nov 2019) – pdf
- PlayStation.com Game Page & PS4™ Trailer (5th Nov 2019) – pdf
- Nintendo Switch™ Pre-Order Begins (1st Nov 2019) – pdf
- Nintendo Switch™ & PS4™ Game Announcement (22nd Oct 2019) – pdf
A Game Made by a Solo Developer:
The game and all its content was made by one man, Ste Wilson. Over a six month period he worked from rise ’til fall on a coffee drip. He created everything from the hand-drawn graphics, to the synth-pop soundtrack (created under his music maker name Electric Fan Death), to the code behind the gameplay, to porting the game to 3 major consoles and Steam. The game is a love letter to the space shooter genre and a testament to what can be crafted by a solo developer with limited time, a limited budget, and a stubborn streak.
A modern take on the retro arcade shoot ’em up (shmup). Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo is an addictive, fast-paced, easy to pick-up hard to master space blaster with bullet hell elements, loads of unlockables, and leaderboards to climb. The ‘Turbo’ edition of Super Mega Space Blaster Special is the definitive edition giving you more ships, more game modes, more unlockables, more challenges, and more space blasting fun than ever before. Blast your way through 5 unique game modes including 2 new Turbo edition modes. Save cute astronauts and destroy the boss to claim victory in ‘Save The Colony’ mode. Manage your fuel and ammo to survive to the big-boss in ‘Survival’ mode. Protect your mothership from damage for as long as you can in ‘Protect Mother’ mode. Blast your friends into space dust in local competitive multiplayer modes ‘To The Death’ mode and the new ‘One Shot’ mode.
Play alone in single player, or with a friend in local co-op to take out the aliens. Collect coins to unlock more space blasters (ships), upgrade your weapons and power-ups, and explore the shop for extra perks. Complete over 40 fun challenges to get those extra coins. Use each space blaster’s strengths to your advantage; from turrets that allow twin stick control, to fast manoeuvrable ships that can outrun your foes. Arm yourself to the teeth with awesome power-ups like big-bombs, homing missiles and lasers. Destroy the alien boss and continue the endless gameplay to rack up a massive score and become the ultimate space blaster pilot and top the leaderboards.
Nintendo Switch™ Launch Trailer ESRB E (1080p):
Nintendo Switch™ Screenshots (1920×1080) and Image Assets:
Xbox One Screenshots (1920×1080):
PlayStation®4 Launch Trailer ESRB E (1080p) on Official PlayStation YouTube:
PlayStation®4 Screenshots (1920×1080) and Image Assets:
Steam(Win/Lin/macOS) Trailer (1080p):
Steam(Win/Lin/macOS) Screenshots (1920×1080) and Image Assets:
- Fast-paced addictive shmup gameplay with bullet hell elements.
- 5 play modes give varied gameplay and replay-ability.
- Play alone in single player or with a friend in local cooperative or local competitive multiplayer.
- Collect coins to unlock all 15 space blasters (ships) each with their own perks. From fast ships for darting around to slower ships that allow precision aiming.
- Some space blasters have turrets, turning the game into a twin-stick shooter.
- All versions have a platform exclusive space blaster.
- Loads of awesome power-up weapons to help you take down your enemies including lasers, homing missiles, and multi-shot.
- Use your coins in the shop to upgrade weapons and unlock more perks.
- Collectables to aid you in your mission. Big-bombs wipe-out nearby enemies, shields help you survive longer, and magnets drag fuel and ammo towards you.
- Endless high-score chasing gameplay with over 15 enemies and a boss for those who can score high enough (gameplay continues after the boss).
- Over 40 in-game challenges to help you gain coins and develop your space blaster piloting skills.
- Simple hand-drawn art-style allows you to easily pick out the foes amongst the asteroids.
- Compete to be the greatest space blaster pilot in the leaderboards.
- Play along to the pumping 80s inspired synth-pop original soundtrack by Electric Fan Death.
The year is 2051, the Earth is in ruin; a barely inhabitable polluted mess of smog and tar.
A huge unmanned spaceship, launched by mankind years earlier as a last ditch attempt to survive, has found a possible inhabitable planet and is under attack from its residents.
That’s where you come in pilot! From Earth you must remotely control one of the giant ship’s space blasters and annihilate the alien threat so that humanity can continue.
The survival of human kind is in your hands pilot.
Don’t let us down!
“Super Mega Space Special Turbo is a great shooter. It will hit the spot for genre fans, especially if you like it on the more difficult side. The various modes keep things interesting, with unlockables and leaderboards adding extra replay incentive. Take a shot on this one.” – 8.5/10
“Overall, Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo is perfect example of bringing an old formula back into a new audience. It’s very fun and addicting. You all should definitely pick this up if you want to add a quick arcade style title to your collection.” – 10/10
Gamer Guys and Gals YouTube Review
“Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo is a wonderful addition to the original and will have you playing till the wee hours of the night. The game left me with one of the biggest smiles a video game has ever put on my face.” – 90%
Wala Wala Games
“Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo is simple, addictive and most importantly a blast to play. A lot of effort has gone into making this game, borrowing from classics but adding its own spin at every opportunity. There is a bucket load of content to keep you interested and the hook of ‘just one more run’ will have you coming back for more. Super Mega reaffirms the notion that a budget price point doesn’t have to mean corners are being cut.” – 8/10
Two Beard Gaming (TBG)
“All in all, this is a super addictive little retro-inspired title that, while perfectly suited to playing in quick five or ten-minute bursts, can, if you’re not careful, suck you in for hours on end with its one-more-go score chasing and achievement completing appeal… it should offer most an absolute bargain.” – 4/5
The Switch Effect
“Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo contains an impressive variety of modes and each one poses an enjoyable level of challenge… It all adds up to make mastering each mode an absolute blast.” – 4/5
Video Chums (2nd game in list)
“Overall, we’re looking at a top-notch indie arcade action shooter for just five bucks. What are you waiting for?” – 8/10
JP’s Switch Mania (4th game in list)
“Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo is easily worth the launch price of $4.99. Featuring a plethora of game modes and unlockables, there is a lot of unexpected depth to this simple-looking top-down space shooter.” – 7.5/10
“Visually, it’s an indie treat. It’s not a typical pixel art budget title but hand-drawn. For the price, it’s a no-brainer if you’re up for a classic shooter in the mould of Asteroids. There aren’t any gimmicks here, just quality gameplay mechanics that will have you coming back for repeat plays… an excellent title for the Switch.” – 4/5
The Vulgar Knight
“You can’t go wrong with Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo, it has a surprising amount of depth despite the simple-looking aesthetics and old-school gameplay. The progression system and multiple modes will keep you coming back for more… If you’re looking for a nostalgiac game with modern visuals and mechanics, look no more, pick up this game today.” – 8/10
The Nerd Stash Interview – The Nerd Stash interview Ste Wilson about developing Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo as a solo developer and his plans for The Flawless: Art’s Tale.
Below are reviews and interviews regarding the much smaller Steam(Win/Lin/macOS) game Super Mega Space Blaster Special. All content of the Steam game including the v2.0 update are included in the new massively expanded ‘Turbo Edition’ – Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo.
“Super Mega Space Blaster Special is shockingly good. The style of old school space shooters has been refined and evolved here into something that both captures the joy of quick score-chasing sessions while also providing progression challenges and unlockables to further motivate the player to push forward.” – GREAT
The Game Hoard
“Super Mega Space Blaster Special is a game bursting with frantic fun – rippling with colour and crisp clarity. It’s an incredible amount of game for the price point. No matter how many times I play it, my heart is pounding by the end, and I love it for that.” – 8.5/10
“Super Mega Space Blaster Special is a fun pick up and play shmup available on Steam for less than a dollar that also runs on Linux. I’ve paid heaps more for games I’ve played less. A compulsive fun title.”
Gamer Geek News
Indie Gaming Podcast Chat – Ste chats about the development of Super Mega Space Blaster Special and the future plans for the retro space shooter.
Old School Gamer Magazine Interview – Ste answers questions about the retro inspiration behind Super Mega Space Blaster Special.
Bare Knuckle Development are a small video game development studio based in Greater Manchester in the United Kingdom. After releasing their first title, Super Mega Space Blaster Special, on Steam(Win/Lin/macOS) to a string of good reviews they developed the much bigger ‘turbo’ edition for consoles. Bare Knuckle Development are currently developing the metroidvania hack’n’ shoot action-RPG The Flawless: Art’s Tale for Nintendo Switch™, PS4™, and Steam(Win/Lin/macOS). A game about a young hero trying to find his way home from a brutal world of cats.
Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo copyright © 2019-2020 Bare Knuckle Development Ltd. Nintendo Switch is a trademark of Nintendo. “PlayStation Family Mark”, “PS4” and “PlayStation” are registered trademarks or trademarks of Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc. “Xbox One” is a trademark of Microsoft Corporation.