Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo is a modern take on the retro arcade space shooter and an huge expansion of the original PC release. With more modes, more ships, more enemies, more 80’s synth-pop, a shop, upgradable weapons, and more challenges than ever before this is the definitive turbo version. It is a fast-paced frantic blast of a shoot ’em up (shmup) with bullet hell elements. Played alone or in local coop the game is addictive and will keep the player coming back to unlock the next ship, upgrade their power-ups or beat their high-score.
Bare Knuckle Development allows for the contents of Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetisation of videos created containing assets from Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo is legally & explicitly allowed by Bare Knuckle Development Ltd.
- Developer: Bare Knuckle Development
- Release Date: 14th January 2020
- Genre: Shoot ’em Up (Shmup)
- Release Platforms: Nintendo Switch, more to be confirmed
- Hashtags: #SMSBSp #SMSBSpT #SpaceBlasterTurbo
- Game Website: coming soon…
- Developer Website: bareknuckledev.com
- Twitter: twitter.com/SMSpaceBlaster
- Facebook: facebook.com/bareknuckledev
- Instagram: Instagram.com/smspaceblastersp
- Price: US $3.99, UK £2.99, EU €3.29
- Rating: (not yet rated)
A modern take on the retro arcade shoot ’em up (shmup). Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo is an addictive, fast-paced space shooter with bullet hell elements, loads of unlockables, and leaderboards to climb. The ‘Turbo’ edition of Super Mega Space Blaster Special is the definitive edition giving you more ships, more game modes, more unlockables, more challenges, and more space blasting fun than any ever before. Blast your way through 5 unique game modes including 2 new Turbo edition modes. Save cute astronauts and destroy the boss to claim victory in ‘Save The Colony’ mode. Manage your fuel and ammo to survive to the big-boss in ‘Survival’ mode. Protect your mothership from damage for as long as you can in ‘Protect Mother’ mode. Blast your friends into space dust in local competitive multiplayer modes ‘To The Death’ mode and the new ‘One Shot’ mode.
Play alone in single player, or with a friend in local co-op to take out the aliens. Collect coins to unlock more space blasters (ships), upgrade your weapons and power-ups, and explore the shop for extra perks. Complete over 40 fun challenges to get those extra coins. Use each space blaster’s strengths to your advantage; from turrets that allow twin stick control, to fast manoeuvrable ships that can outrun your foes. Arm yourself to the teeth with awesome power-ups like big-bombs, homing missiles and lasers. Destroy the alien boss and continue the endless gameplay to rack up a massive score and become the ultimate space blaster pilot and top the leaderboards.
Screenshots and trailer video coming soon…
- Fast-paced addictive shmup gameplay with bullet hell elements.
- 5 play modes give varied gameplay and replay-ability.
- Play alone in single player or with a friend in local cooperative or local competitive multiplayer.
- Collect coins to unlock all 14 space blasters (ships) each with their own perks. From fast ships for darting around to slower ships that allow precision aiming.
- Some space blasters have turrets, turning the game into a twin-stick shooter.
- Loads of awesome power-up weapons to help you take down your enemies including lasers, homing missiles, and multi-shot.
- Use your coins in the shop to upgrade weapons and unlock more perks.
- Collectables to aid you in your mission. Big-bombs wipe-out nearby enemies, shields help you survive longer, and magnets drag fuel and ammo towards you.
- Endless high-score chasing gameplay with over 15 enemies and a boss for those who can score high enough (gameplay continues after the boss).
- Over 40 in-game challenges to help you gain coins and develop your space blaster piloting skills.
- Simple hand-drawn art-style allows you to easily pick out the foes amongst the asteroids.
- Compete to be the greatest space blaster pilot in the leaderboards.
- Play along to the pumping 80s inspired synth-pop original soundtrack by Electric Fan Death.
The year is 2051, the Earth is in ruin; a barely inhabitable polluted mess of smog and tar.
A huge unmanned spaceship, launched by mankind years earlier as a last ditch attempt to survive, has found a possible inhabitable planet and is under attack from its residents.
That’s where you come in pilot! From earth you must remotely control one of the giant ship’s space blasters and annihilate the alien threat so that humanity can continue.
The survival of human kind is in your hands pilot. Don’t let us down!
“Super Mega Space Blaster Special is shockingly good. The style of old school space shooters has been refined and evolved here into something that both captures the joy of quick score-chasing sessions while also providing progression challenges and unlockables to further motivate the player to push forward.” – GREAT The Game Hoard
“Super Mega Space Blaster Special is a game bursting with frantic fun – rippling with colour and crisp clarity. It’s an incredible amount of game for the price point. No matter how many times I play it, my heart is pounding by the end, and I love it for that.” – 8.5/10Pixel Crashers
“It’s so refreshing to come across a gem in a crowded field of mediocrity because it proves once again, good games do exist as long as you’re willing to invest the time finding them. For some top-down 2D shooting action in the final frontier, you can’t go wrong with Super Mega Space Blaster Special.” – 80% Wala Wala Games
“Super Mega Space Blaster Special is a fun pick up and play shmup available on Steam for less than a dollar that also runs on Linux. I’ve paid heaps more for games I’ve played less. A compulsive fun title.” Gamer Geek News
Indie Gaming Podcast Chat – Ste chats about the development of Super Mega Space Blaster Special and the future plans for the retro space shooter.
Old School Gamer Magazine Interview – Ste answers questions about the retro inspiration behind Super Mega Space Blaster Special.
We are a small development studio of two people based in Manchester in the United Kingdom. We aim for Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo to be a fun, easy to pick-up, hard to master space blaster that offers lots of challenge with loads of rewards like ships and upgrades to keep you coming back for ‘just one more go’. We are open to feedback and want to improve the game in any way we can. If you have any issues with the game please feel free to let us know and we’ll do our best to solve the problem. We hope you enjoy the game, Happy blasting!