The first game in the Space Blaster series. Created in only 4 weeks by solo developer Ste Wilson. The game is a homage to retro space shooters merging their mechanics with modern shmup gameplay to create a bucket load of space blasting action for less than the price of a coffee.
GET SPACE BLASTER NOW ON STEAM(Win/Lin/macOS)
A modern take on the retro arcade shooter. Super Mega Space Blaster Special is a fast-paced frantic blast of a shoot ’em up (shmup). Played alone or in local coop the game is addictive and will keep you coming back to unlock the next ship or beat your high-scores on the leaderboards. The v2.0 free update brings a mini shop, warp engines to remove the lethal screen edges, an extra space blaster, and retro gamepad support.
SPACE BLASTER NEWS
- Fast-paced addictive shmup gameplay with bullet hell elements.
- 3 play modes give varied gameplay and replay-ability.
- Play alone in single player or with a friend in local coop or local competitive multiplayer.
- Collect coins to unlock all 10 space blasters (ships) each with their own percs. From fast ships for darting around to slower ships that allow precision aiming.
- Some space blasters have turrets turning the game into a twin-stick shooter.
- Loads of awesome power-up weapons to help you take down your enemies including lasers, homing missiles, and multi-shot.
- Collectables to aid you in your mission. Big-bombs wipe-out nearby enemies, shields help you survive longer, and magnets drag fuel and ammo towards you.
- Endless high-score chasing gameplay with over 15 enemies and a boss for those who can score high enough (gameplay continues after the boss).
- Full gamepad (controller) support including button images for Xbox controllers, PlayStation 4 (DualShock 4) controllers, and Nintendo Switch™ Pro controllers.
- Keyboard remapper with 2 bindings per action and restore default keyboard bindings button for easy reset.
- Over 20 in-game challenges to help you gain coins and develop your space blaster piloting skills.
- More than 20 Steam achievements.
- Simple hand-drawn art-style allows you to easily pick out the foes amongst the asteroids.
- Inspired by both games of yesteryear like Asteroids, Super Fantasy Zone, and Galaga, and modern games like Bit Blaster XL and Super Stardust HD.
- Compete to be the greatest space blaster pilot in the Steam Leaderboards.
- Cross platform ‘Steam Cloud’ support.
- Play along to the pumping 80s inspired synth-pop original soundtrack by Electric Fan Death. Soundtrack and cover included as free DLC.
REVIEWS & PRAISE
“Super Mega Space Blaster Special is shockingly good. The style of old school space shooters has been refined and evolved here into something that both captures the joy of quick score-chasing sessions while also providing progression challenges and unlockables to further motivate the player to push forward.” – GREATThe Game Hoard
“Super Mega Space Blaster Special is a game bursting with frantic fun – rippling with colour and crisp clarity. It’s an incredible amount of game for the price point. No matter how many times I play it, my heart is pounding by the end, and I love it for that.” – 8.5/10Pixel Crashers
“It’s so refreshing to come across a gem in a crowded field of mediocrity because it proves once again, good games do exist as long as you’re willing to invest the time finding them. For some top-down 2D shooting action in the final frontier, you can’t go wrong with Super Mega Space Blaster Special.” – 80%Wala Wala Games
“Super Mega Space Blaster Special is a fun pick up and play shmup available on Steam for less than a dollar that also runs on Linux. I’ve paid heaps more for games I’ve played less. A compulsive fun title.” Gamer Geek News
BIGGER BETTER TURBO EDITION OUT NOW
After the success of Space Blaster Ste Wilson massively expanded the game, calling the new game Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo. The Turbo Edition launched in 2020 on Nintendo Switch™, PS4™, Xbox One and Steam(Win/Lin/macOS). The expanded version contains more ships, more game modes, more challenges, more music, new achievements/trophies, and more space blasting action than ever before. Check out the Turbo Edition’s game page to grab a copy or find out more!